Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Learning to make better food choices...

I need to practice this!!! I need to learn to eat better when I am not at home, too. We went to Reno's tonight. It was an unexpected trip and I wasn't "mentally" prepared. I got the 7 oz. sirloin, baked potato with butter and sour cream on the side, salad with ranch (which I used VERY lightly) and a diet drink.

First mistake...I should have chosen a water with lemon! That is always the best choice. I did avoid the rolls except for one small piece. I give myself a pat on the back for this because normally I would have eaten two. Second mistake, I need to find a dressing I like that is a good choice. I would probably prefer to just continue using a small SMALL amount of ranch than trying another kind. The vinaigrette types are just not for me. So if the ranch causes problems with weightloss I will probably opt for a side of vegetables with my meal instead of a salad. Third mistake, they brought my potato and had put the butter and sour cream in it...so I tried to get out what hadn't already melted, but after the fact I regretted that I didn't request a new potato like I had ordered. I don't like to do that, but I thought about it and it is my health that I am working very hard to make better. Those people probably wouldn't care to bring me a plain potato, right? I used to eat potatoes plain so hopefully that will become something I like again. Fourth, and final mistake, I cut my 7 oz. steak in half. I planned to cut and eat the portion I had. BUT I still was wanting more when I had finished so I picked at the remaining piece. I wish I hadn't done that. I was satisfied. WALK AWAY FROM THE PLATE!!!

Overall, the experience was a learning one. I told Joe I wished we had a treadmill at home. I would have used it tonight. I don't feel guilty for eating out but I would prefer to burn off some of those calories. I will make some changes next time but I am not too discouraged in the end. GO ME!!! A HAPPY, HEALTHY ME!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Dad!!!! Good for you. I'm so glad your writing this because I'm loving reading it. It has actually given me a little boost....i've been in a diet rut for a few weeks! I have just this past year learned that the key to weight loss is BALANCE...balance in eating (allowing myself a cheat once a week), exercise (if I can't bring myself to get on a boring treadmill or do a video, I make myself get up and do SOMETHING around the house like water flowers, pull weeds, laundry, etc so I stay busy), and balance in life in general. Good luck and keep us posted.

    Salad dressing: I used to eat salsa on my salads instead of dressing and it is surprisingly good and a lot of restaurants have it. I've made healthier ranch dressing that's really good. I used a full pack of the hidden valley ranch powder, plain greek yogurt, and skim milk.

    A friend of mine sends me random health articles that she finds on yahoo and I always look forward to reading them so I thought you might also.

    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/6-best-worst-snacks


    Sonny

    ReplyDelete